Sanitation and hygiene deserve the utmost priority at this critical time of COVID-19 pandemic. To mobilize districts and villages to construct and maintain their community toilets, the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS), Ministry of Jal Shakti is launching a three-month-long campaign.
Samudayik Shauchalaya Abhiyaan (SSA) is being held from 15th June to 15th September 2020.
“The pandemic has resulted in large-scale migration of labourers, back to their native places throughout the country. Such migrant labourers need sanitation facilities on priority,” DDWS said in a notification to the States.
The campaign aims to provide sanitation access to migrants and floating population through CSCs, sustain usage, increase the sense of ownership within the village, and ensure construction and maintenance of community toilets while following all safety and hygiene protocols, to promote community health.
All new CSCs constructed during the campaign period will be geotagged. It is hoped that District Collectors, Sarpanches, Gram Pradhans and Swachhagrahis will personally lead the campaign at their respective levels.
By the end of the campaign, Districts, Blocks and Panchayats will be evaluated on the following parameters:
- Number of CSCs constructed during SSA campaign period (60% weightage)
- Number of CSCs constructed during SSA campaign period in SC/ST concentrated tolas (with more than 50% of the population from the SC/ST category) (20% weightage)
- Number of CSCs constructed before the SSA campaign period (20% weightage)
At a national level function on 2nd October 2020, awards will be given to:
- Top scoring 3 districts and 3 blocks as per the criterion
- Best 3 Sarpanches as nominated by the State
- Best State