Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 2nd October expressed heartfelt gratitude to a gathering of over 20,000 sarpanchs and swachhagrahis who had gathered in Ahmedabad, Gujarat for the Swachh Bharat Diwas 2019 programme. Bowing before them with a Pranam, he acknowledged the hard work of grass root workers in the process of making their villages open defecation free (ODF).
The gracious gesture touched the hearts of many present at the Sabarmati Riverfront Event Centre. They felt honoured and recognized for their swachhata work over the last five years. To many of them the event provided an opportunity to venture out of their native village and see the sites of Gujarat.
Held at a time when villages across the country had declared themselves ODF, the event was a tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary.
Public participation and voluntarism have been the hallmarks of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and the reason for its success, the PM said, addressing the gathering. He thanked the entire country for the whole hearted support provided for the mission.
Given that villages have declared themselves free from open defecation, he congratulated every countryman, especially those living in villages, Sarpanchs and all those who have worked for ‘Swachhata’. He added that irrespective of age, social and economic status, everyone has contributed in this pledge of cleanliness, dignity and respect.
The PM also said that the world is amazed by the success of the Swachh Bharat Mission. They are amazed that India has provided toilet facilities to more than 60 crore population in 60 months by constructing more than 11 crore toilets.
He urged the public to take a resolution for the betterment of the nation and strive hard to make it successful. He added that such 130 crore resolutions can bring about a massive transformation. Prime Minister said that collective efforts and public participation are essential for the success of important government initiatives like Jal Jeevan Mission and eliminating single use plastic by 2022.
The PM also distributed the Swachh Bharat Puraskar to the following:
- Swachh Survekshan Grameen – Best Performing District: Peddapalli, Telangana
- Swachh Survekshan Grameen – Best Performing state – Tamil Nadu
- Swachh Survekshan Grameen – State with maximum citizen participation: Uttar Pradesh
- Letter to Bapu – Letter writing competition under Swachhata Hi Seva 2019:
- Vishva, V Std., G.P.S Sendanatham, Villianur, Puducherry
- Shane Savio Fernandes, X Std., Lourdes Covent High School, Goa
- Innovation in divyang friendly toilets: Oston Technology Pvt. Ltd
- Best Sarpanch:
- Sonali Ganpat Yadav, Solapur, Maharashtra
- Sharmila Devi, Gopalganj, Bihar
- Best Swachhagrahi:
- Kareena Khatun, Jashpur, Chhattisgarh
- Lamlynti Lyngkhoi, West Khasi Hills, Meghalaya
- NARSS State Awards: Gujarat